Sunday, February 17, 2008

Preacher Tom


For my first six Sundays in Iringa, I've attended worship in different churches every week. I've listened to Don Fultz preach. I've listened to Gary Langness preach. Finally, they said to me, "Tom, it's time to get off the bench and into the game." So today, I preached.

I felt confident going into the day. I had my sermon down cold. It was good. I was going to preach on stewardship. We have been told by the leaders of the Iringa Diocese that Tanzanian Lutherans don't know much about stewardship. So I was going to preach a stemwinder. And I did. I had them nodding and saying "amen," and answering questions. It was a good sermon. They were motivated. They told how they would respond to the question, "What will I do with my abundance?" I felt great.

But what a surprise I had in store for me. During the auction after the first service, the only item to be auctioned was a bag of pumpkin leaves. Pumpkin leaves! Have you ever eaten pumpkin leaves? No need to try.

So I preached even harder in the second service. They were with me the whole time. One young lady even committed to give 50% of all her earnings to the work of the Lord. What a sermon. It was working.

Until the offering. Would you believe, all that was given for the auction was a bag of green beans and a half dozen tomatoes? I guess I needed humbling. I hadn't bowled them over like I thought. It was a zero chicken Sunday. It was good for me.

But in two weeks when I preach again......

A great memory occurred at the end of the second service, almost by accident. The local pastor found out that an elderly lady had come that Sunday to be baptized. He asked if I would baptize her. What a thrill. She was first invited to the church by her grandchildren. A granddaughter brought her forward for baptism. She could hardly stand, but she answered all the questions and in front of the entire congregation, asked to be baptized. What powerful words they were to say her name followed by, "I baptize you in the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit." She may remember that she was baptized by some gray-haired white guy. I'll forever remember the joy on her face as she rested in the promises of God. "Lord, now let your servant depart in peace, for my eyes have seen your salvation..."

Who cares if it was a zero chicken Sunday. The baptism was worth the whole day.

No comments: