Thursday, January 3, 2008

The Adventure Begins

Welcome to "Tom Goes To Africa." It is my hope that this blog will serve both as a way for you to travel to Iringa, Tanzania with me and to make some observations along the way. I've never blogged before. Really, all I know how to do is type. With a little help, I hope to add pictures and will try not to bore you. Thanks for bearing with me.

I arrive in Iringa with a sense of anxiety. I plan to be here for three months, helping where I can. At least that's the attitude I feel I need as I begin. My hope is that I will be able to work with Tumaini University, a Lutheran University in Iringa, and the Iringa Diocese to help them fine-tune their administrative procedures and do long-range planning. But, I've never taken an overseas trip for three months before. There is some anxiety in that. I'll be away from Julie and my family for longer than ever before. There's anxiety in that. I have no idea how helpful I will actually be in the work I do. There's anxiety in that. There are many unknowns with travel, food, weather, disease, relationships, a new culture to me, not being the ugly American. There's anxiety in that, too.

But, having said all that, there is also a sense of adventure and excitement. How often does anyone get a chance to be a part of another culture for three months, learning about life in Africa, the Lutheran church in Africa and how a grey-haired white guy from Minnesota can make a difference. Even though three months seems like a long time from this end, I'm guessing that when it's all done, I'll wonder where the time went.

The trip over was very good. The planes were half empty, so more comfortable than usual. We had car troubles that made the usually eight hour trip from Dar es Salaam to Iringa a ten hour trip, but we made it just fine. I'm travelling with a great group of people - Don and Eunice Foltz and Gary Langness from Bega Kwa Bega, the St. Paul Synod/Iringa Diocese partnership; Al Klinefelter, and Tom and Sandy Hendrickson. All have been here before. We met Chuck and Flo Claus as we entered the apartment compound and have spent much time with them.

We were greeted by a celebration as we arrived. The bishop, general secretary and dean of the Iringa Diocese, along with several other dignitaries, hosted a dinner with speeches and great food. They were mostly celebrating the return of Don, Eunice and Gary, but I was glad to be included. This place is filled with smiles, handshakes, eagerness for partnership and many expressions of "karibu" (welcome).

The apartment Gary and I will share is not yet ready, but it's a good lesson in patience and learning how to get things done here. I'm hoping I'm still educable!

Oh, and the weather here is summer. Nothing more needs to be said.

No comments: